Mike Dolt Enterprises Logo Mike Dolt Enterprises

Topic: Grounding electrode bonded to grid through Ibeam is it ok and code article?

User: kjroller, Location: Dawson Mn

Asked on: Thursday, March 20, 2025 at 3:05 pm EDT
Answered on: Thursday, March 20, 2025 at 3:06 pm EDT

Question: I have a grounding electrode coming from a generator the grounding grid is bonded to the I-beam but for a drag aboht 70 ft away from the generator. My question is can I bond it to the I beam at the closest part to the generator via exothermic weld. Or should i bring it all the way to the grounding grid where wire comes out of of thr concrete ? If I go to the ibeam the bonding connections will be roughly 70ft apart on each end of ibeam to connect grid to beam and electrode to beam and through the beam it would connect to the grid.. anything is helpful please and thank you

Okay, let's break down this grounding situation with your generator and dragline, focusing on safety and code compliance (specifically referencing the NEC - National Electrical Code, which is the prevailing standard in the US).

Understanding the Goal

The primary goal of grounding is to create a low-impedance path for fault current to return to the source (the generator) so that overcurrent protective devices (circuit breakers or fuses) can quickly trip and de-energize the circuit in the event of a ground fault. This protects people and equipment from dangerous voltage levels.

Key Considerations1. NEC Article 250 - Grounding and Bonding

This is the bible for grounding and bonding. Read this carefully. Key sections to pay attention to are those dealing with separately derived systems (generators), grounding electrode systems, bonding, and equipment grounding conductors.2.

Separately Derived System (SDS)

A generator is generally considered a separately derived system, and therefore has its own grounding requirements.3.

Grounding Electrode System (GES)

This consists of the grounding electrode(s) and the bonding jumpers connecting them together. Common electrodes include ground rods, metal water pipes, building steel, and concrete-encased electrodes (ufer grounds).4.

Bonding

Bonding is connecting all metal parts that are likely to become energized during a fault together to create a low-impedance path.5.

Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC)

This conductor runs with the circuit conductors to the equipment (in your case, presumably the dragline) and connects the non-current-carrying metal parts of the equipment back to the source (generator).

Analyzing Your Situation
Generator Grounding Electrode

Your generator
must have a grounding electrode connection. This is usually a connection to one or more of the following, per the NEC: A metal underground water pipe (with supplemental electrode if used as the only electrode) The metal frame of the building or structure (if effectively grounded) A concrete-encased electrode (Ufer ground) A ground ring encircling the building or structure Ground rods, pipes, or plates

Dragline and I-Beam

The I-beam
can be part of the grounding electrode system if it meets the requirements of NEC 250.52(A)(2) - "Metal In-Ground Support Structure(s)." This generally means it must be at least 10 feet in length and in direct contact with the earth.

Distance and Impedance

70 feet is a significant distance. The longer the path, the higher the impedance. High impedance means fault current has a harder time flowing, which can delay the tripping of overcurrent protection.

Recommendations


Here's a step-by-step approach based on best practices and potential NEC requirements:1. Verify I-Beam Qualification as a Grounding Electrode

Crucially, determine if the I-beam qualifies as a grounding electrode according to NEC 250.52(A)(2). Is it in direct contact with the earth for at least 10 feet? If not, it cannot be used as the primary grounding electrode.2.

Preferred Approach (if the I-Beam is NOT a grounding electrode): Run to the Existing Grounding Grid



Connect Generator Electrode to the Existing Grounding Grid

This is generally the best approach. Run the grounding electrode conductor (GEC) from the generator's grounding electrode connection directly back to the point where the existing grounding electrode system (the grid wire coming out of the concrete) is accessible.


Size the GEC Properly

Size the grounding electrode conductor according to NEC 250.66, based on the size of the generator's ungrounded conductors (the hot wires).

Exothermic Weld

An exothermic weld (Cadweld or similar) is an excellent way to make a permanent, low-impedance connection to the grid. It's the preferred method.


Equipment Grounding Conductor to Dragline

Crucially, ensure you have an appropriately sized equipment grounding conductor (EGC) running from the generator with the power conductors to the dragline. This EGC connects to the dragline's frame and provides a low-impedance fault current path back to the generator. Size the EGC according to NEC 250.122.

Separate EGC, Not Relying on the I-Beam

Do
not rely on the I-beam as the primary equipment grounding conductor. You must have a dedicated EGC.3.

Alternative Approach (if the I-Beam
IS a qualified grounding electrode): Bond I-Beam Close to Generator AND to Grid. Still run separate Equipment Grounding Conductor back to the generator.
Bond to I-Beam Near Generator

Exothermically weld the grounding electrode conductor from the generator to the I-beam as close as practical to the generator.

Bond I-Beam to Grid

Exothermically weld the I-beam to the existing grounding grid where it comes out of the concrete.


Run Separate Equipment Grounding Conductor

As above, you must run an equipment grounding conductor (EGC) with the power conductors to the dragline and connect it to the dragline's frame.

Grounding Electrode Conductor Sizing

Size the GEC from the generator to the I-beam according to NEC 250.66.

Important Notes
Licensed Electrician

This type of work should be performed by a qualified and licensed electrician who is familiar with the NEC. Grounding is critical for safety, and improper grounding can create serious hazards.

Local Codes

Local codes and regulations may have stricter requirements than the NEC. Always check with your local electrical inspector.


Generator Manufacturer's Instructions

Follow the generator manufacturer's recommendations for grounding. They may have specific requirements.

Inspection

Have the grounding system inspected by a qualified electrical inspector after installation.


Ground Resistance Testing

Periodic ground resistance testing is important to verify that the grounding system remains effective.

Why Going Directly to the Grounding Grid is Generally Better (if possible)
Lowest Impedance

This provides the most direct, lowest-impedance path for fault current to return to the source.


Reduces Potential for Voltage Drop

Long runs of grounding conductors can develop voltage drop during a fault.

Simpler System

A direct connection simplifies the grounding system and reduces the number of connections, which can be points of failure.

In summary:
prioritize running the grounding electrode conductor from the generator directly to the existing grounding grid. Always run a properly sized equipment grounding conductor with the power conductors to the dragline. Only consider bonding to the I-beam if it is a qualified grounding electrode and* you still run a separate EGC. Always consult with a qualified electrician and comply with all applicable codes. Safety is paramount! Flag for review

Previous Question Next Question