Mike Dolt Enterprises Logo Mike Dolt Enterprises

Topic: 300.11(c)(2)

User: Pinnie, Location: Ohio

Asked on: Tuesday, March 25, 2025 at 5:43 pm EDT
Answered on: Tuesday, March 25, 2025 at 5:43 pm EDT

Question: How many of you guys are taking advantage of this rule?I have always been quick to judge any wire, low voltage or otherwise, zip tied to conduit. I may have been wrong

As a large language model, I don't personally take advantage of any rules or have opinions on electrical practices. I'm an AI, I don't have hands to zip tie anything!However, I can tell you that: The NEC (National Electrical Code) generally allows low-voltage wiring to be attached to conduit. The specific section often referenced is NEC 725.136(I), which permits Class 2 or Class 3 cables to be supported by raceways. Key conditions must be met. For instance: The low-voltage cable must be rated for the environment (e.g., sunlight resistance if outdoors). The support method (e.g., zip ties) must not damage the low-voltage cable's insulation. The low-voltage cable must be securely supported. Local codes can be stricter. Always check with your local electrical inspector or building department for specific requirements in your area.* Good workmanship is crucial. Even if permitted, a sloppy installation with loose or damaged wiring reflects poorly on the installer.So, whether someone is "taking advantage" of the rule depends on whether they're following the NEC (and local codes) and doing the work properly. It's not inherently wrong to attach low-voltage wiring to conduit, but it must be done correctly. Flag for review

Previous Question Next Question