Mike Dolt Enterprises Logo Mike Dolt Enterprises

Topic: Getting new work fast

User: AC\DC, Location: Florence,Oregon,Lane

Asked on: Wednesday, March 26, 2025 at 10:03 am EDT
Answered on: Wednesday, March 26, 2025 at 10:04 am EDT

Question: Interviewed an older j-man-Seems knowledgeable but don’t know till I get him out on the jobs- I was booked out a month and a half.If I hire him I got larger non service jobs that can keep him busy for 2-3 weeks.But I want to make sure I keep them comming…All while I have been in the processs of finishing my lighting store. I have currently been dumping my pay and earnings into buying outright everything I needs for the shop.I probably have maybe another 15-20k left to purchase.I have a helper now also that will run the store front once it’s open.Question———- i will loose a lot of my capital cause I have to now pay some one $60 after taxes an hour- i bill out at 150$ overhead to run shop and vehicles is $180 a day.My overhead a day is cheap at 20 a day.Helpers $23 an hour after taxesSo every hours $83 and I bill out 150 seems still a good rate of return——- but know I have to find work for him and me—— how does one grind the fence—-I don’t do new construction cause I bid high should I cut my prices since I am. Now paying less for a jman than I wanted to make a day— or just advertise a lot more and do a lot more Facebook post—I never budded in medium size government jobs just cause I did not have any help now I do so thought about that.Any help—-Also don’t know if this guy sucks but I’ll find out on a job or two real quick-

Okay, let's break this down and formulate a plan. You're in a tricky spot, balancing growth with capital preservation. Here's a structured approach

1. Assessing the New J-Man:
Trial Period

Don't assume he's great. Consider the first week or two as an extended, paid trial. Explicitly communicate this. Something like, "Hey [J-man's Name], we're really excited to have you join us. We'll be evaluating performance and fit during the initial two weeks to ensure a long-term match for both of us." This sets expectations.


Job Selection for Evaluation

Put him on projects where you can easily observe his work and get feedback. This might mean starting with a project you can easily supervise, or asking for direct feedback from the customer afterwards.

Communication is Key

Ask him questions, not just about the job but about
how he approaches it. Listen for problem-solving skills, knowledge, and attention to detail. Ask things like, "Why did you choose that approach over another?" or "What are the potential pitfalls of this method?"

Gut Check

Trust your instincts. If something feels off, even if you can't pinpoint it, address it.

2. Financial Reality Check



Your Hourly Breakdown

You've outlined the basics, but let's clarify:


J-man Cost

$60/hour (after taxes)

Helper Cost

$23/hour (after taxes)


Your Billing Rate

$150/hour

Vehicle/Shop Overhead

$180/day (This needs to be converted to an hourly rate to factor into job pricing. If you're billing 8 hours a day, that's $22.50/hour)


Your Personal Overhead

$20/day (Similar to above this needs to be converted to an hourly rate) $2.50 an hour

Profit Margin Analysis



J-man Only

$150 (bill) - $60 (j-man) - $22.50 (vehicle/shop) - $2.50 (personal) =

$65/hour profit
J-man & Helper

$150 (bill) - $60 (j-man) - $23 (helper) - $22.50 (vehicle/shop) - $2.50 (personal) =

$42/hour profit
If your helper is working with you or the jman

Key Observation

While $42-65/hour profit seems good, remember this is gross profit. It doesn't account for marketing, insurance, office supplies, legal fees, accounting, etc. These will eat into your margins.

Cost Control

Be hyper-aware of any waste – materials, time, fuel, etc. Even small efficiencies add up.

3. Job Acquisition Strategy: The "Grind the Fence" ApproachYou want a balanced approach, and "grinding the fence" is a good way to describe it. You need immediate work to keep your J-man busy
and strategies for long-term sustainable growth.

Prioritize High-Margin Work (Initially)



Stick to Your Niche (For Now)

You've built a reputation for higher-end work. Don't immediately abandon it. Focus on filling your pipeline with projects that command your current pricing.


Small, Quick Wins

Look for smaller projects that can be completed quickly, generating immediate cash flow and positive word-of-mouth.

Up-selling/Cross-selling

When you're on a job, actively look for opportunities to offer additional services.


Targeted Marketing & Lead Generation



Facebook (and other Social Media)

You're right to emphasize this.


Showcase Completed Projects

High-quality photos and videos are essential. Before & after shots are powerful.

Testimonials

Get happy customers to record short video testimonials.


Run Targeted Ads

Target homeowners in your area who fit your ideal client profile (demographics, interests, income).

Engage, Don't Just Post

Respond to comments and messages promptly. Ask questions to generate conversation.


Local SEO

Make sure your website (if you have one) and Google My Business profile are optimized for local search.

Referral Program

Incentivize existing customers to refer new business.


Network



Realtors

Build relationships with real estate agents. They often have clients needing electrical work for home sales or renovations.


Contractors

Network with other contractors (plumbers, carpenters, painters). They often sub out electrical work.

Past Clients

Reach out to past clients with a special offer.


Consider New Avenues (Cautiously)



Medium-Sized Government Jobs

This could be a good move
if you're prepared for the paperwork, bidding process, and potential delays in payment. Start small and bid strategically. Do your research before bidding.

New Construction

If you're bidding high, analyze why. Are your costs inflated? Can you streamline processes? Maybe target a specific niche of new construction (e.g., high-end custom homes). Don't dive in without a plan.

Lowering Prices (as a last resort)

Avoid lowering prices unless absolutely necessary. It can devalue your services and create a race to the bottom. Instead, focus on adding value to justify your price. Offer exceptional service, guarantees, and clear communication.

4. Lighting Store Synergies



Lead Generation

The lighting store is a huge potential lead generator. Train your helper to ask every customer if they need installation services.

Bundle Offers

Offer discounts on electrical services when customers purchase lighting fixtures from your store.


Showcase Your Work

Display photos of your electrical work (especially lighting installations) in the store.

"Ask the Electrician" Nights

Host occasional evenings where customers can come to the store and ask electrical questions.

5. Key Considerations for Your Specific Situation



Cash Flow Management

Track your income and expenses meticulously. You need to know exactly where your money is going.

Contingency Fund

Build up a cash reserve as quickly as possible to weather unexpected expenses or slow periods.


Scaling Responsibly

Don't overextend yourself. Grow at a pace that you can manage without sacrificing quality or customer service.

Review and Adjust

Regularly review your pricing, marketing strategies, and business processes. Be prepared to adapt as needed.

In Summary



Evaluate the J-man thoroughly. Make sure he's a good fit and delivers quality work.

Understand your financial margins precisely.


Focus on high-margin work initially to maintain profitability.

Actively market your services and leverage your lighting store for lead generation.


Consider new opportunities cautiously and strategically.

Prioritize cash flow management and build a contingency fund.
*It sounds like you have a solid base to build on. Good luck! Remember to be patient, persistent, and always prioritize quality and customer satisfaction. Flag for review

Previous Question Next Question